description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

No theme. NO THEME!!!!!

Yes, today there is no theme. I know. It's stressing me out, too, but sometimes, you just have to roll with it, because I had to get these out to y'all for your viewing enjoyment.

Photo by IU
Once again we have a Montoya (as in Inigo) mistake. Yep, that's what I'm gonna call them from now on. Read the first sentence. Out loud if you have to. Your office mates won't mind. You see which word I'm talking about? WHEREAS is just...wrong...here. But the part I can't quite figure out is what did they actually mean? "Such as" would be weak here, but it'd work. There are also 2 works in that first sentence, which is generally a writing no-no. And then you move on to the second sentence, which has its own issues. IU sent this photo to me a while back, and I don't remember where she was when she took it, but I'm guessing it was a museum, which makes this even sadder. Museum descriptions should be clear and concise, and not poorly written and confusing. Hire someone to write your copy for you, museum. Don't just assume because your employees are knowledgable they can write. These two things do not necessarily travel together.

Photo by JR
Seriously. How do you not hear that this is wrong EVERY TIME you say this word out loud? "If you head back to our CLEARANCE section..." Listen, I get typos. You should see the first draft of every single thing I type. This is why it is acceptable to READ OVER the things you type before you hit print. You are allowed! Permission is granted! And if you are actually pronouncing this word this way, then your friends hate you, and you should look into getting new ones.

And finally, this little project:

The food was excellent. The spelling? Not so much. 
I made this one extra-big, so you can see. There are a few problems here. How much time do you have? A quick glance turns up misspellings on PROSCIUTTO, BISCUIT, and LAVENDER. Oh, and HOMINY. I think that might be it, but it's hard to tell. This handwriting is both neat and confusing. Do you see anything I missed? But here's what I really want to know. What is potato fondant? And truffle foam? I mean, I think you can guess that I'm not an adventurous eater, but at what point does the whole molecular gastronomy thing go too far? Does every food NEED to be done in a new form? Blergh. I'm cranky now. Get off my lawn!

POTATO FONDANT IS SCARY, YO.

Ok, that's it for now. Send those submissions in!

No comments:

Post a Comment