description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's like Aussie rules football, but different...

Another submission, this time from loyal reader and friend MF. Have you guys seen the trailer for the new Great Gatsby movie? In case you haven't, here it is:


Looks lush, right? Pretty much exactly how you'd imagine Luhrmann + Gatsby might come together. I'm not sure the 3D is necessary. I do love his attention to detail, though. The costumes are gorgeous. Check out those amazing shots of Times Square, with the signs and the awesome cars and such. However, I'm sure poor Mr. Zeigfeld is rolling over in his grave. Or, rather, I should say, ZIEgfeld. Since that's how he prefers to spell it. That's an easy fix, and I'm sure it'll get corrected by the time the movie hits theaters. But keep an eye out for it!

There's a framegrab in the article here, as well as attribution as to who first spotted this error. Well done! I totally missed it. Mr. Ziegfeld is especially grateful.

History nerd: It's interesting to note that Gatsby takes place during Prohibition, so I was checking those signs for alcohol ads. I suspected Sonora, but it turns out it's a brand of phonograph in both Australia and the US, though apparently on a downswing by 1922. And that Venida sign? It's a brand of bobby pin.

Also, also: now I'm not sure. Is that Times Square? it looks a little bit like they surrounded the Flatiron Building with signs.

Keep sending in those submissions! Thanks for the help!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, when I initially watched the trailer I didn't notice it either. Possibly because the scenes went by pretty fast and I only watched it the one time. I'm betting the person who initially caught the gaffe was probably viewing the trailer numerous times in slo-mo to check out historical accuracy or some such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm sure. It's a lot of trouble to go to, but I'd be curious as well.

    ReplyDelete