description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Monday, September 17, 2012

NSFW (no, really.)

I love advice columns. I would love to write an advice column some day, since I have Strong Opinions about how you should be living your life. What you should say. How you should act. What outfit you should wear to the event at the end of the week. But I love to see what other people say in advice columns. My favorites are the letters from the Letter writers who have no idea they're the worst humans on the earth. And then the kind advice-givers who try to gently break that news to them. But also awesome are the less-kind ones that lay it all out on the line for them. I am sometimes stunned that the person writing the advice column doesn't start every answer with "OH MY G-D YOU ARE SO STUPID." Which would be mean, for sure, and not very helpful, I guess. But satisfying? Absolutely. 

My friend AW sent me the link to one of those Pot Psychology advice videos from Jezebel. She sent me only the link and the timecode, and told me she'd let me make my own screengrab. So I played the video, and this is what I found at that timecode: 

Screengrab by me!
Now, I'm going to guess that this sign was made by the makers of the video. I don't know if they copied the question-asker's language directly in, so I'm not sure who to blame here. Regardless, question-asker, I can't help you with your official problem. Not in this space. However, PEELS is not the word you're looking for, my friend. It's PEALS. Like a bell. 

Also, I don't think the word "ticklesome" exists. There is a chance, Letter Writer, that your girlfriend is not laughing at what you think she's laughing at. Maybe she's just a grammar nut who's thinking of an email she got from you recently? It's possible. She's all "Oh, ticklesome. That's not a word! HAAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAA!"

Maybe? 

(Thanks, AW!)

2 comments:

  1. "Ticklesome" should be a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of a portmanteau of ticklish and troublesome. I can get behind that.

      Delete