description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Well, I was born in a small town

Look, I don't really know anything about it, but I'm going to guess that working at a small town newspaper can be difficult. I mean, HUGE newspapers are laying people off or even shutting down entirely at alarming rates, so small newspapers must have it rough. I mean, I'm pretty sure my own small town's paper was run by a couple people, an inquisitive raccoon, and the squeaky hinge on the front door. Until it folded years ago, that is. Regardless, it has to be a struggle to keep the paper going and stay relevant. Everyone has to be all social media-ed up now in order to keep up with the kids. If you're a small paper, do you hire someone to do that stuff for you, or do you just have someone on staff learn how? Obviously, Judy in bookkeeping is going to have to try her hand at the Facebook. She's not thrilled about it. Judy's not a copyeditor. She's an accountant. This isn't what she signed on for. She already has to make sure the classified ads run properly every week, in addition to her bookkeeping. It's such a hassle. Not to mention how everyone has to chat with her whenever they pick up their printouts just because she sits near the printer. It's not necessary! But they do it anyway.

So, the Facebook. Her kids are on it, but she's not so interested. She hasn't really looked into it. And now she has to sum up these silly stories she has to post, and look, she's really buy. Wait. What?

Screengrab by KG
Oh, Judy. You can delete out the link once it's attached to the post. Also, I'm sad that you got CONTROVERSIAL right, and missed BUSY. Clearly just a typo, but you can check your work before you submit. It's ok! Facebook will wait.

Wanna give it another try? Of course you do.

Screengrab by KG
Judy. It's ok to not type all the words you're thinking. You can part with a few, and the sentence will be that much better! Maybe even throw in a period or two, and have separate sentences! Also, spellcheck won't always save you. SUN, not son.

Oh, Judes. I hope you have a good story to tell me when I get to the printer. Because this stuff is breaking my heart.

(Thanks, KG!)

2 comments:

  1. I think that the first one should read "OU had a bye week." So, not buy, but maybe not busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we're discussing this on the FB page. I'm wrong!

      Delete