description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Don't risk it!

I've never been a comic book person. I think people who know me might be a little surprised by that, as I am pretty much a geek, with a fervent love of sci fi and fantasy, but they were just never for me. I wasn't able to wrap my head around looking at images AND reading words. Too much effort for my tiny brain. However, I was an avid watcher of cartoons growing up, so I'm still familiar with the X-Men, Iron Man, Spiderman, and many of the other cartoon-to-movie crossover characters. But if you jumped right from a comic book or graphic novel to the silver screen? I probably don't know you.

I received this submission from loyal reader and friend AW, who pointed it out to me on the twitter last week. An internet friend of hers noticed this error in "The Ravagers #1," which was out last week from DC Comics. Comic books are held to the same high standards as any other published work of fiction. Some might even say a higher standard, because of the artwork involved. I did some googling, and learned that the reviews for this edition aren't that great, and maybe this is partially why.

Photo by Chris Gladis
Just one tiny letter, but it completely changes the meaning of the word. I don't even know how you'd "loose" control. Unless control is a noun. Ooh, or a Kraken! This probably started out as a typo, but once it made it through all those gatekeepers, well, now it's just an error out in the world.

DC Comics, be better! Try harder! Don't set a bad example for your loyal readers!

(Thanks to AW, who sent her friend's spelling error discovery my way!)

1 comment:

  1. I always have a slight sympathy for the lose/loose mistake that makes it through. When I was working for a magazine, we had an article that had lose in the title. Well, it was supposed to have lose. Somehow loose made it through three editors/proofreaders, including the editor-in-chief who was a royal bitch about spelling. Worst of all, that issue went to a trade show. I still cringe in horror. I also fanatically double check any appearance of lose/loose.

    ReplyDelete