description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Signs, signs, everywhere signs...

Remember how I was saying the other day that I love some of the stuff that goes around Facebook? It's still true. I am sometimes just blown away by how hilarious people are. My favorite one that I just reposted was a picture of a rat in a cage, with a sticky note on it that said "Despite all my rage...". That's hilarious, y'all. Sometimes, though, it seems like they're just kind of a hack job, right? I am not in love with this idea. Someone takes someone else's sign and then photoshops in their own HILARIOUS phrase, and then PMs their friends to repost the sign, to force it to go viral. To me, this is the internet equivalent of telling someone you're funny. If you ARE funny, people will just know. You won't have to tell them. Similarly, if your photoshopped sign is funny, then people will repost it, and you won't have to ask them to do so. I mean, some people were just sort of born to write those quippy little phrases, and, well, some should find other outlets.

Like, maybe, the creator of this sign, sent to me by my friend IU:

What is that in front of the sitting dude? Flowers? A salad? A FLOWER SALAD?
This is just a mess, right? I mean, of course, we are mainly focused on that wrong your. And an ellipsis has 3 periods. But also, it doesn't really make any sense, does it? It's clunky, which takes away from the joke. "Singing along to a song you don't really know...but when the chorus rolls around, you are going to OWN that shit." That's...better, I think. Maybe? I suspect that this is not really all that hilarious a sentiment to begin with.

So, let that be a lesson to you, Anonymous Facebook Card Photoshoppers. First, please run your HILARIOUS concept by others, to confirm its hilarity, and second, deploy your words and grammar properly. Until then, the only shit you'll own is the above-mentioned shit. Which is pretty shitty, indeed.

(apologies to all parties for the abuse of the word hilarious in this post, and thanks to IU for sending me this submission! It is a marvel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment