description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Teach them well and let them lead the way...

I've been taking some career aptitude tests lately, and some of them point towards becoming an educator. Now, those who know me know that I'd be a terrible elementary school teacher, but I might be able to swing high school. I'm probably most suited towards dealing with college-aged kids, since they are not, in fact, kids. But the idea of becoming a teacher of any kind is really daunting, isn't it? You're literally shaping young minds, providing them with the information they need to excel out in the world. Giving them a solid foundation in life, so they can pursue their dreams.

So, I can only assume this is either an early opportunity to let the kids test out their own copy editing skills, or if all else has failed, teaching them when to buy a vowel.

Maybe it's a final exam of sorts?
Because this is an elementary school yearbook, I'd guess that the teachers are in charge of putting it together. And that's just sad. Maybe it's a random parent, but still. A teacher should have given it a once-over, and ANY teacher should have been able to spell FOURTH. It's FOUR with a TH at the end. Another example of spellcheck failure, I'd guess, since forth is also a word. 

Scary, y'all. Learning to spell correctly starts early, as does taking responsibility for the projects on which you work. 

(Many thanks to loyal reader and friend MJ for sending this pic to me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment