description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mirror, Mirror...

Summer movie season is the best, isn't it? Unless you're a fancy movie snob, I guess. Big blockbusters are a great way to escape from everything that's bugging you: the heat, your chatty coworkers, your boring alien-free life, etc. I love the big special effects, the crazy huge fights, the elaborate costumes, all of it. For the movie industry, however, these films represent one thing: money. Endless articles are written analyzing and overanalyzing the money that's made, not made, lost, and wasted. Each movie is pitted against all the movies that opened the previous week as well as every other movie that's even vaguely similar, trying to figure out how more money can be made.

Which brings us to this article. In it, we learn that Snow White and the Huntsman overperformed at the box office its first weekend out. It was, in other words, a megabit. Wait. What?

I didn't like 4 of the movies in this paragraph. That includes the 2 I didn't see.
I admit that perhaps the writer meant megabit. Maybe it's some sort of industry jargon I don't know. But I think the writer meant to say megaHit. I mean, that seems right, no?

And yes, Battleship is also missing a t. I used to have this discussion with a coworker wherein I argued that regardless of whatever spelling or grammar errors a studio committed in titling a movie, that was still the official title, and we couldn't change the title in our lower thirds, just because the title was incorrect. It was a fun "discussion." We had it a lot. And I think you know what I mean by fun. Anyway, the point is, Battleship is wrong. This way, it kind of makes you want to say Bat-Les-Hip. Which is the name of my vineyard in the south of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment