description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Words are your friends.

I'm a recent convert to the Kindle, but I am a HUGE fan. I'm the kind of person that loves to go back and reread my favorite sections of books, so I think it's fantastic to have my ereader on me at all times, so I can look up a passage in a book, or maybe start a new one, or two, whenever is convenient for me. You don't have to carry all those heavy books around! You can just read whatever you want.

One of my big issues, though, is that the formatting for ebooks is often haphazard at best. I don't know why this happens. For some reason, it seems that the final version of the print book can't be used, and they have to redo the editing and formatting entirely for the ebook version. I find that ebooks are riddled with odd errors and misspellings, as though the text is taken from an early draft, and the copy is never proofread, just formatted to fit on the page of the ereader, however it can be crammed in. Sometimes there are even hyphens at the end of lines, as though they're on a typewriter. Remember, fellow old people, when we had to do that sometimes? Word processing software fixes this for you automatically, which is very handy.

Regardless, I really think that ereaders are here to stay, and will continue to increase in use, because they're just so damn handy. Even if the editors of ebooks can't even be bothered to use the right WORD in sentences.

A library book on my Kindle! Favorite worlds collide!
Can you see it? 8th line from the top. "Witnesses or causalities." This is also an instance where spellcheck can't save you, since of course, causalities is definitely a word. But y'all. "Witnesses or CASUALTIES." Right? That's what's meant to be here, right? Because causalities doesn't work here at all. I mean, I'm sure we could sit down and hash this out, and determine that maybe, in a way, causalities might work here. But no. It's casualties. Right? It has to be.

And that's not the only problem in this paragraph. Seriously, if I were an author, and this were my novel, I'd be raging. At a certain point, you think you're safe leaving things in the hands of professionals, and those so-called professionals leave you with this hatchet job. It's tragic. That's somebody's baby, y'all.

I don't know if it's just a bad attitude towards ebooks that's causing this, or just that publishers, like everyone else, are tremendously short staffed, but simply have to try harder. People learn from reading books! And now they will learn things that are wrong. It's not ok, Amercia.

Be better, publishers!

1 comment:

  1. The conversion to ebook formats is a second process that a book goes through. Really, it should be done after a book has gone through multiple rounds of proofreading, etc., but--as you surmised--short-staffed and on quick turnarounds, stuff happens. Bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete