description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

I want to go to there.

Good morning!

It's not really a secret that this blog could be run on food-related submissions alone. I wish I could figure out why that is. Why independent restaurant proprietors are SO reluctant to have anyone proofread their menus before having them printed. Surely it's the same mindset that allows them to create such hideous websites. Pretty much every person on Earth agrees that websites with all that extraneous music and business are EXTREMELY irritating, except for those who build restaurant websites. And the separate PDF menus? What is up with that? No one wants to have to save a menu to their computer every single time! Just html that bad boy up! (note: I have no idea how to create a website. Maybe this is hard. Who knows?)

Regardless, food-related errors. They turn up in all kinds of places. I wish I could post for y'all all the submissions I currently have along this theme, but, well, that would force this blog to end sometime next Tuesday, and that would be sad. So, I'll just give you a couple today, to whet your appetite. (See what I did there?)

First up is this questionable error in a menu, submitted by my friend IU.

Photo by IU
IU tells me that shadow finger pointing right to the error is just a coincidence. This is one I've had my doubts about in the past. Is chilli a regional spelling? I kind of lean towards no, since google doesn't come up with it at all when I look for it, but google doesn't know everything. (GASP!) But maybe it is. If you know, please tell me! I'm very curious. IU spent some time in South America, and she's the one that sent this in, so I'm going to just believe her for now.

She also said that when she was taking this picture, no one around her asked why. No one. They just saw her taking a picture of the menu, and let it happen. Awesome.

(Thanks, IU!)


1 comment:

  1. I always thought that chilli was the soup/stew food, while chili was the pepper. But now I've googled and learned so much more. Such as, it should probably be chile, in the first place. Chilli may be the British spelling (they tend to double up the Ls) and chili is the US spelling (also the Dutch spelling, for what it's worth). My spellcheck doesn't like chili (but is ok with chilli), but I definitely would have used chili in this menu. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete