description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Today's theme is...

Y'all know how I love a theme by now, right? So, today's theme is OOPS! That doesn't belong there! Both posts feature the exact same grammatical error. I don't think you'll have any trouble figuring that error out.

One of the magical things about the internet is that you can erase your errors. You get a do-over! Yes, errors can be cached, but in the updated version of your site, or tweet, or what-have-you, you can present your best effort to the world.

Here's an article I spotted a while back regarding unemployment in the Asian-American community. I will read almost any article on unemployment these days, especially those discussing the challenges of long-term unemployment. It's a topic that's near and dear to my heart. Here's the first paragraph as it stands right now:

I'm gonna stick with my hyphen. I like it. 

But here's how that section looked when I first read the article way back when:


OOPS!
So, yeah. They totally fixed it, and that's great! That's what you SHOULD do! I mean, especially in a sentence talking about education. 

Right? It's The Atlantic, for pete's sake. They're fancy and smartypants.




No comments:

Post a Comment