description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

And now, a word from our sponsor.

I have this weird sort-of mental relationship with Disney. I grew up in Central Florida, about an hour away from where the parks are located (note: it was just one park when I was a little kid, though Epcot opened in 1982), and it was always this behemoth out in the middle of nowhere. We didn't go very often, maybe once every couple of years, since it was so expensive. As I got older, and my friends would get comp tickets for participation in various band events, we'd go fairly regularly, and got to be familiar with the parks and their somewhat-creepy ways. And yes, that's how I always thought of it. Everyone who worked there was always TOO happy, in my opinion. The whole place was a little too cheerful, too bright, too busy. All of that adds up to creepy to me.

As a result, I've never been a huge fan, though I enjoy a day of rides just as much as anyone else. Personal favorite? Indiana Jones. Of course I love a ride with a LONG line.

However, I'm fascinated by the Disney machinery. They are MASTERS of marketing, and I suspect they set some sort of standard for promotions and tie-ins. Which is why I was so surprised when I received this submission from not one, but TWO readers. Thanks to NT and L for sending this my way!

Here's the email that was sent:

Is this Mickey break dancing? Isn't that, um, a little out of date?
Don't see the error? Yeah, it's not there. It's in the subject line of the email:

There's a somewhat dirty joke here, but I can't quite put my finger on it...
Yeah. Groves. But they spelled it right in the email! GROOVES. This is just amazing to me, that this made it past Disney's phalanx of marketing geniuses. Walt is spinning in his grave! GROVE! GROOVES! Wait, no. The lesson here is to not put away your thinking cap once the beautiful email is built. You still have to send it out, and give people a reason to open it! And I'm guessing that "How does a Mickey Plush GROVE?" is not a reason your bosses would like you to convey.

What do I know? They probably got PLENTY of pageviews for this thing. No press is bad press, after all!

(Thanks to NT and L!)

No comments:

Post a Comment