description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

SWAK

I'm gonna admit here that this one stumped me. My friend JC sent this to me, and I wasn't quite sure what was wrong with it. Here, let me show you.

Photo by JC
I always come down on the side of the Oxford comma, but I do understand that rolling without it is not exactly an ERROR. Especially if you're a journalist. The problem, of course, is BUSSES. Busses is a word. But it's not THIS word. It is not the plural of bus. It's the plural of buss. As in, friendly kisses on the cheek. Which makes sense, because no one wants eating, drinking, or smoking to get in the way of friendly kisses.

To be fair, busses is the listed as an option for pluralizing bus, but it's listed second, and with the possible confusion of people carriers vs. kisses, I think I'd just go with BUSES. That way, you know exactly what you're getting. Unless you want both, and you're more than happy to be surprised. In which case, I wish you well, my friend.

(Thanks, JC!)

No comments:

Post a Comment