description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Bunheads, AGAIN.

What show do you love to hate-watch? This is totally thing. No, don't pretend you don't do it. I firmly believe EVERYONE has hate-watched a show at some point or another. How can you not? There's always one show that you believe will one day improve, and you are not going to miss that moment. Until then, you just keep watching, hoping for that diamond while wading through a whole lotta rough. For me, that show is currently Bunheads. We've talked a bit about it before. As a past fan of Gilmore Girls (though I admit I gave up when Rory went to college), I had faith in Amy Sherman-Palladino's ability to balance the chatter and quirkiness with warmth and clever plotting. I'll give you two guesses what Bunheads is still pretty much lacking. That thing is wall-to-wall chatter and quirkiness, no balance, no cleverness, no passing go and collecting $200. NOTHING. And yet. AND YET. My TiVo keeps recording, so I keep watching. What if it suddenly gets good? What if those girls suddenly have depth? WHAT IF I MISSED SOMETHING INTERESTING? I would be disappointed. Besides, I have to support Broadway people in any way I can, right? Even if it makes my eyes and ears weep.

So, when my internet buddy DD sent me this article, I was intrigued. Both by the content and the errors. You can read it for the content on your own time, but while I've got you here, let's look at a couple of the errors.

15 years of ballet classes as a kid, and no one ever, not once, called me a bunhead. 
I suppose this could be debated a bit, but in my head, it would be Debbie Dances en Pointe. And mais oui, bien sur, you're saying pointe all Frenchy in your head, like Pwant. Ok, no you're not. That would be silly. But this phrase is en pointe, no? I suppose the person doing the interview just transcribed it that way, because that's what it sounds like, but yeah. You don't dance ON pointe. You dance en pointe. And look. Wiki agrees with me. Don't trust wiki, y'all. Except when it tells you you're right.

As as aside, my favorite line from that wiki article is this one: sometimes softening the box slightly to allow the shoe to easily bend in demi-pointe.

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAAA, wiki! You're funny. "Sometimes softening the box slightly." More like "beating the box to death with a hammer until it vaguely resembles the shape of your foot."

But I digress. ANYHOO, back to the article. Here's the error DD spotted, which is also a good one:

Rapid-fire dialogue is way nicer than my usual term of "jibber-jabber." 


Sigh. Short INtention span? That's what Ryan Murphy has. Each of his shows get about a season and a half of his undivided attention, and then he moves on. His intentions are fantastic early on, but then his brain gloms on to the next big idea. Oh! J.J. Abrams sometimes does this, too. But I feel confident that here, in this context, ASP said ATTENTION. Though I find it hilarious that she says that she doesn't understand why on TV somebody asks you if you want a cup of coffee and it takes you 10 minutes to answer, because, HELLO, Michelle does this in every episode. With the curtains, and the fries, and the flood, and almost any time she talks to Fanny. Which, also, they will LOVE this show in England. FANNY. 

(Y'all, I have no idea what's going on here with the font. I have tried everything to fix it, including resetting all the settings, and it won't go away. It has some sort of disturbing will to live or something. I don't know.)

(Thanks, DD!)




3 comments:

  1. The "bunheads" term: I knew what it meant, I thought it was kind of cute, but I agree, no one ever called me that in 15 years of dance. Maybe that's because I danced before the lyrical craze hit in all its hair-flinging glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As as aside, my favorite line form that wiki article is this one: ..." Do I dare point out that that should probably be "from" and not "form"? ;)

    I hate editing my own writing, because your head knows what is supposed to be there, so it's easy to overlook little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead! This is why I prefer to have a second set of eyes on things! But it's just little old me here, so I'll never see everything. Thanks!

      Delete