description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Too many books!

I have a confession to make. I've become a reader who doesn't always get around to reading. It's driving me nuts! How do I, as an unemployed person, not have time to read books? I don't understand it at all. I have a number of series that I follow, so you'd think I'd want to jump on those as quickly as possible, to find out what happens next. But no, I have all these other things I'm doing that prevent me from getting there. Insane.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the books that aren't part of a series that everyone won't shut up about. (Yes, I may be feeling a little pressured by the interwebs to read them.) The latest is, of course, Gone Girl. Everyone loves it! It's amazing! It's a marvel! I MUST READ IT IMMEDIATELY! Ok, I'll get there. I promise.

(An aside: I, um, usually don't like the things other people like. I'm weird. So I'm leery of a book eveyone's loved so much. I could possibly be the jerk that's not on board.)

Anyhoo, it turns the book would provide me entertainment in more than one way. Courtesy of loyal reader RP, here's a clip from p. 136, in which all SPOILERS have been trimmed, I'm told.

Photo by RP
Twice in one line, this publisher (and everyone at the company that's supposed to watch for these things) decided to ignore the fact that Lionel Richie spells his name without a T. As RP points out, it must be difficult to be a celebrity with a differently-spelled name, but I would counter that it should actually make it EASIER in some instances, because it's something unique to cling to. Lionel Richie-without-a-T. See? It's not quite a mnemonic, but it's still memorable. I mean, y'all won't forget, now, will you?

(Thanks, RP. And yes, I really will read the book soon! I've been given a deadline.)

2 comments:

  1. I usually don't like the books that other people love ("Fifty Shades of Grey"), but I have to admit, I did like "Gone Girl". I do so love a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I figure I won't like Fifty Shades, because I get annoyed when a book is all sex and no story, so I've avoided it so far, even though I did love Twilight. But I sometimes don't love a mystery, so who knows where I'll be on Gone Girl. I have liked some mysteries, so I won't discount it out of hand. I suppose I will just have to READ IT. ;)

      Delete