description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Food Wednesday, Florida style

Today, on Food Wednesday, I thought I might share with y'all a couple of souvenirs from my trip last week. Won't that be swell? I thought so.

So, for part of the trip, I went over to the west coast of Florida to do a little research for a project I'm working on. I visited a few museums, went and ate at a couple of delicious restaurants, and ALMOST did a walking tour of the area. Why almost? Because it was 485 million degrees outside, and I broke. The walking tour consisted of mp3s and a map, and we ended up listening to the bits in the car. WITH AIR CONDITIONING. Also, the summer rains got started pretty early the second day, so we would have gotten drenched had we stayed. Like, drenched by rain, and not by sweat. Yeah, yeah, that's gross. It was TOTALLY GROSS. NO LIE.

Anyway, I kept a careful eye out for spelling errors, as one does, and actually ended up letting a few slide by. I lack dedication to my cause in the face of the fires of Hell. Or Hell-like heat. Whatevs. I also opted to not embarrass my family a couple times by stopping everyone to take random pictures. I'm way nice like that. But I didn't let them all go. And of course, the easiest ones to grab were the ones we were already seated for. The menus! Here's an awesome one from a restaurant we stopped at on our side trip. I went to this restaurant because they had a sign out front that said they had sandwiches and cold beer. Done and DONE. In perusing the menu, here's what I stumbled upon:

I got their in-house hefeweizen. I thought you'd want to know. 
"Please allow time for hand-tossed pizzas." is really how I feel that line should read. Yes, I'd add a hyphen. And OF COURSE I would lose the unnecessary apostrophe. Because it's PLURAL, and not possessive. SIGH. They can add that apostrophe to the first item listed, which should probably read "Brewer's Choice." I guess if you're going to get an apostrophe wrong, you should get it wrong repeatedly. Consistency FTW? Sure. We'll go with that.

For the record, the sandwich I got was delicious, and they actually put red onion on it, which is strangely hard to come by in Florida. Red onion is delicious, people. Embrace it! None of this white onion nonsense. Give the white onion a break already. OY.

Some other time we can have a conversation about my lack of feelings for the Hawaiian pizza. Those foods have no business on a pizza. Why would anyone do that to a harmless, delicious pizza? It's like those nutters who put fruit in cake. STOP IT. Cake is perfect on its own. It needs no pretense of health. Oh! And nuts in brownies. LUDICROUS. Chocolate requires no embellishment. It is a CRIME AGAINST CHOCOLATE-KIND AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT. Ahem.

So, yeah. No apostrophes in plurals, y'all! It sets me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment