description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Coffee and computers, hand in hand

Let me just put this picture up, and then we can discuss. I have thoughts.

Photo by DD
Ok, so this is bizarre. Obviously, it's supposed to be plural, and not possessive. STYLUSES. Or styli, as the internet tells me. Fair enough. Also, DD informs me that she took this at her local coffee shop, and has no idea why they sell these items there. Are there a lot of people out there clamoring for a stylus to use with their iPads/tablets/iPhones/what-have-you? I've never used one. Maybe it's a completely different and better portable computing experience. What do I know?

But here's what this photo made me think of. I know that there are some times when you do actually add an apostrophe AND an S to the ends of words that already end in S to make them possessive. But I don't know the rules for this AT ALL. I feel like this is a newish thing that happened after I got out of school, so I missed it. Like, say your last name is Fergus. And you're going to the Fergus' house for dinner. Or is it Fergus's? Do you add the S when the word is singular? Like Bridget Jones's Diary.

I am so confused here, y'all. Please, enlighten me, if you can. I'd also love an explanation for styluses, too. Do you use one? Do you love it? Feel free to take to the blog's Facebook page to tell us all about it!

(Thanks, DD!)

3 comments:

  1. There are pages and pages of various style books dedicated to your questions! The answer comes down to which style guide you (or your organization/employer/what-have-you) decide to follow. So it's "Dickens's novels" per Chicago; "Dickens' novels" per AP. I'm looking at both and they both use Dickens as an example, perhaps to dig at the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the stuff trapped in my brain is mostly AP, which is why I lean towards NOT adding the S. But I can't for the life of me remember what I was taught in school. It's because I'm getting old, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I was taught that you could use both. But I prefer to not add the extra s.

    ReplyDelete