description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Crowdsource

Living in a world where we're surrounded by needless spelling and grammar errors is tough. Sometimes, it gets to be too much. We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore, right? RIGHT! So, what do we do? Kick ass and don't bother taking names? Heavens, no. Tear your coworkers a new one and then burn the building down to the ground? Goodness gracious me. That seems so unnecessary. And violent. And I'm not just nonviolent. I'm lazy. So what AM I going to do? Well, I'm going to get a pen out, and I'm going to make the corrections myself. YEAH. That'll show 'em! Just like these good people.

First, the original:

Photo by MF
And then the corrected version:

Photo also by MF
These signs are in the elevators where my friend MF works. She says a number of these signs are up, and while some have been corrected, others have not. Looking at the corrections, I think the person doing the correcting hit all the major issues. Some of this could have been reworded to make it a little clearer, but I think the corrections indicated are the ones I would have wanted to make as well.

Well done, sign corrector! We applaud your efforts. It really, really does take a village, y'all. There's no shame in asking those around you to help out when you're stuck. That's what friends (and coworkers) are for!

(Thanks, MF!)

2 comments:

  1. Listen, I think we should just be impressed that the building got on the computer and typed this itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snerk. Maybe the building is so preoccupied with typing while staying upright that it can't be bothered with trivialities like grammar.

      Delete