description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

SKIPPY

Y'all, I'm just going to let my friend BD tell you what's going on here:

"I'm not saying that I DVR'd Virgin Diaries on TLC. But I may have. And this happened."
Well, ok. 
I asked her if there was only one parent, and she said that she wasn't absolutely sure, but that she didn't think so. So, apostrophail, my friends. And that's not the only issue. I'm not even sure of how to address the period that someone dropped in the middle of that sentence.

Here's the thing. When you're writing a script for a TV show of this style, this is how you write it. You put in errant punctuation to indicate how it should be read out loud by the narrator/host. So, when I see this, I know exactly what the writer was thinking. However, when you're outside, you use your outside voice. You have to adapt your writing for the regular folk out there who don't know we do this. Easy peasy:

Skippy is a 34-year-old Mormon virgin.

He lives in his parents' basement.

Full sentences, properly punctuated, message conveyed. This shouldn't have made it past the execs. But in case they're here, I'd like to make them aware that I'm available for work. HI!

(Thanks, BD!)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ha! It's a good one, isn't it? I can't take credit for it, but I can adopt it enthusiastically.

      Delete