description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

BACON!!!

Ah, bacon. It makes everything better, doesn't it? I enjoy that in the past couple of years, bacon has suddenly become a hip food, and people are putting bacon in all sorts of places perhaps bacon shouldn't necessarily go. Bacon doesn't need to be everywhere, y'all. By limiting it a bit, we will keep it special and something of a treat. Bacon should not become ubiquitous. It is too magical for such a thing.

I don't actually know much about other pork products, especially the foreign ones. I bring up bacon because it's my favorite, but also because the internet tells me pancetta is often called Italian bacon, though that description is not entirely accurate. And pancetta is what brings us here today. My friend AN lives in Utrecht, in the Netherlands, and snapped this photo outside a cafe a few weeks ago.

Photo by AN
Oh, dear. I can understand how it might be confusing, since that is how the word is pronounced, but perhaps the sign makers of the Netherlands have not gotten the "you can google things" memo. Also, are we going to guess that Megusta Caffe is probably supposed to be Me Gusta instead? Maybe. Maybe not. That would be Italian, Dutch, Spanish, AND English on one sign. THAT WAY LIES MADNESS.

Sadly, this word continues to stump this restaurant. Another sign, same place:

Photo by AN
Same handwriting, right? Unfortunately, sign-maker, it wasn't the second T that was the problem. But good guess! Maybe one day, you'll get it. But until then, you go on with your mad linguistic skillz. You've still got perhaps 3 languages going on in this sign, and that's more than I can scrape together on any given day. I have a hard enough time with the one I supposedly speak fluently!

(Thanks, AN!)

2 comments:

  1. Ooo! I didn't even catch the Megusta bit, since I never studied Spanish. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's a keeper. Me gusta el café would be the correct Spanish, by the by.

    ReplyDelete