description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Max and Jinx...

When I was junior high, I went to SpaceCamp. Ok, technically, at that age, it was SpaceAcademy. But that's just SpaceCamp for older kids. It was really, really awesome. I grew up on the east coast of Florida, but they hadn't yet opened the local SpaceCamp, so I had to go to the one up in Alabama. I sincerely had an amazing time. We did not get launched into space accidentally, and I didn't meet Joaquin (The Artist Previously Known as Leaf) Phoenix, but regardless, it was still way cool. I kept in touch with some of the people I met there for a very long time. One of the guys was named Duff. He was named for his family's castle. I mean, come ON. How can you not keep in touch with a dude who was named for his family's castle?

Space and kids just seem like two things that go together to me. It's such a great way to feel connected to the things that science and research can accomplish. I like to tell people that for us regular folk, there are few more patriotic or awe-inspiring moments than watching a rocket launch. It is just TREMENDOUS what has been achieved. And that is why this is just a tragedy. Here's a screen cap of a page on the NASA website my mom recently stumbled upon:

Seriously, though. How fun would this be?
And here's a close up, since the problem is hard to see:

It's the caption for the photo on the right, above.
Yeah, it's Brevard County. Not Country. It's actually a little terrifying to me to think of it as its own country. Remember when 50 Shades of Grey got banned from a Florida county's library system? That's the same county. I'm not sure they should have even that much power, much less the governance of a country.

If I had my own country, I wouldn't bother with banning books. I would start by banning the phrase "baby bump" and those super platform stiletto heels that real people can't actually walk in, and work my way out from there. I might also ban olives. And cheap, runny mascara. Oh! And any purse-sized hand lotion that doesn't have a flip top. That is an abomination.

Clearly, I'm not really cut out for this level of power, either. I might wield it TOO WELL.

(Thanks, Mom!)

No comments:

Post a Comment