description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I NEED YOUR HELP.

Sometimes, your vacation time and destination isn't up to you. You don't get to decide you're going on a fancy cruise. Instead, you have to go to some place you're not all that interested in to watch your dear friend get married. Again. You love your friend, and you want to be there to support him or her, but, y'know. You get 5 vacation days a year, and this year, you're spending them in the middle of nowhere, in a dress that costs more than your last 3 work dresses combined, with shoes dyed to match, and hairpins stabbing your head until you want to cry. You repeat to yourself over and over that you love your friend, and that you are a good friend for being there for her.

That's essentially the focus of this article my friend DB posted on twitter awhile back. It is, suffice it to say, not the best-written of articles, though I agree with its point. However, what are you going to do? You're not going to skip important functions, are you? Maybe you are. Anyway, the article provided me with this curiosity.

It's clunky, right? 
I, of course, want to spell that word GAUNTLET. And as an aside, I'm not sure why attending events before the wedding might be considered running a gauntlet. It seems a bit dramatic, no? So the writer might have avoided this confusion had she simply chosen another metaphor. HOWEVER, in googling, wiki tells me that "gantlet" is the original form of this word, and that at least one grammarian thinks that gauntlet and gantlet shouldn't be conflated, so this may be correct. But I don't know. I'm not feeling it.

And so, my darling readers, I want to know what you think. Would you have gone with gantlet? Gauntlet? Another metaphor altogether? Is there any kind of an argument to be made for common usage, since gantlet might be more confusing?

Is there any way to come sort of agreement? Or will the gauntlet v. gantlet debate tear our society apart at the seams?????

Probs not. But let me know what you think.

(Thanks to DB, who probably has no idea I stole this link from her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment