description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Garnet and Gold

It's Apostrophail Day here at the old SpellFail Blog. Sometimes, a post requires little introduction. Some require NO introduction at all, and those become classic PWC posts. This submission certainly qualifies, except for the part where I must tell you that the school referenced in this post is my alma mater. Believe me, I am more proud than you can possibly imagine. Let's just say I had my apostrophe usage down pat before matriculating.

Here is the link to the story, sent to me by internet buddy KP. And here's the image, in all its glory.

Email had just been invented when I attended. As a result, our addresses consisted of approximately 483 more characters. 
Because I had no idea who the guy in the photo was, I didn't quite understand what this course might be about. But then I googled, and all was revealed. I do wonder if this class takes on any of the fun things that have happened at FSU, as opposed to using other schools' troubles as course material. While I was there, 2 prominent football players tried to cheat off me during tests, though one at least asked politely beforehand, so there's that. And the other one, well, he was never in class. I felt bad for him. Gosh, he must have been so tired from all his footballing.

Back to the point. Dr. Pappas and I graduated from the same school the same year. One of us knows when to use apostrophes properly, and the other one has a PhD and a job. So, yeah. This has suddenly become awkward and uncomfortable. I'm going to go sit in a corner and hug my proper apostrophe usage tightly about me, so it can keep me warm at night.

It totally does, y'all. IT TOTALLY DOES.

(Thanks to KP for sending this my way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment