description

We all make errors, and sometimes, those errors can make us look like idiots. Especially when that error gets published out in the world, even though it likely went through a host of gatekeepers to get there. And that's why we're here. To shame those gatekeepers with an internet scarlet S. I don't expect you to be perfect. It takes a village, and every village has an idiot. But for the sake of your company's reputation, hire a village that has at least one member THAT CAN SPELL.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

IT'S DELICIOUS.

I'm generally not a fan of all caps, unless it works for the point I'm trying to make. I do enjoy using caps when I want to emphasize a word, as I'm sure y'all have noticed. However, it really does look as though you're shouting, and so I find that it's not a great way to sell something to someone. It comes across as pushy.

This submission is a great example, I think. Because of the caps, this sign sort of looks like just a string of words on some paper. You almost have to read it aloud to figure out what they're saying.

Photo by KG
Let's discuss the particulars, shall we? I'm fine with till. It's not my preference, but I understand that it's acceptable. I probably would have rolled with 'til. But we've stumbled across AID before, in place of the actual word limeade. This isn't ok. Not with me, anyway. It makes me think they're putting something in my strawberry lime drink that isn't real, and trying to fool me with it. Just google that bad boy, sign makers. It comes right up as LIMEADE when you do.

But of course, the best part is earthier. This just reeks of an autocorrect, doesn't it? True story: my mom sent me a photo today of a rainbow forming over the grocery store. In the second photo, you could see a second rainbow faintly, forming over the first (WHAT DOES IT MEAN?). Except her phone kept correcting faintly to Fauntleroy. Which is awesome, since faintly is ACTUALLY A WORD. I just love it when the phone corrects a real word to another word that is rarely used in conversation. ANYHOO. Earthier. It is definitely a word, which means spell check won't save you. I'm not sure which drink would win in an earthier-off. Does Alton Brown have a checklist for determining the most earthy drink? Does an earthy drink have to have actual earth in it? Let's hope not. Ew.

Regardless of the other issues in this sign, I think we can all agree that, at these prices, it wasn't necessary to state the price PLUS TAX. Just include the tax, and give us the total. I promise we will not be horrified.

I mean, any more than we already are.

(Thanks, KG!)

No comments:

Post a Comment